Open Letter to Congress: INTERIM ASSESSMENT from the Citizens’ Mandate
May 18, 2015
With last November’s election of a new Republican Congress, voters demonstrated they wanted Obama’s fundamental transformation to stop. In January, a group of more than 50 conservative leaders signed the “Citizens’ Mandate” to remind the Republicans of citizen expectations.
Many Republicans, and their leaders, campaigned on the promise to change Washington, show a contrast and challenge President Obama’s governance, if only the voters would give Republicans control of the legislative branch.
Citizens expected Republicans new to Congress to:
- End Executive branch overreach,
- Restore Constitutional balance of power among the three branches of government,
- Bring an end to the perennially unpopular Affordable Care Act/Obamacare,
- Stop the President’s end-run of Congress with his executive amnesty initiatives,
- Hold the Executive branch accountable for its myriad abuses of power and its national security failures, both foreign and domestic, and
- Put the interests of the United States of America first among nations.
So, what has Republican leadership done with their power since January 6, 2015 for the last 132 days?
Funded executive amnesty: Instead of stopping executive over reach using their power as a co-equal branch of government, the Republican Congress actually funded Obama’s executive amnesty.
Republicans first passed the Cromnibus in December to avoid the fight to defund amnesty saying that severing out funding for the Department of Homeland Security in March would be the more effective way to combat Obama’s policies. Then Republicans seemed incapable of driving a unified, clear message to leverage eroding support of the President among Senate Democrats, when polls showed vast popular support for restraining the President. Now, Republicans are avoiding any effort to defund amnesty in the new DHS funding bill for this fiscal year.
Continued Obamacare: Regarding stopping the Affordable Care Act/Obamacare, key Senate Republicans actually stopped a vital investigation into fraud and are looking for ways to save Obamacare subsides for themselves.
Jeopardized national security: Instead of safeguarding our homeland, Congress has done nothing to address the security risks from illegal immigration.
Ceded away treaty power on a nuke deal with Iran: Most Senate Republicans signed a letter that expressed serious concerns with President Obama’s appeasing of Iran, a state sponsor of terrorism. But, when push came to shove, almost the entire Senate rolled over and blocked consideration and ultimately adopted a bill that actually reduces the role Congress can play in enforcing, or lifting, tough sanctions on Iran as the mullahs continue their pursuit of nuclear weapons.
Continued excessive federal spending: Passed a so called “balanced budget,” but then immediately blew through their new-found fiscal responsibility by passing a healthcare bill that would add $500 billion to the deficit over the next 20 years.
Undermined faith-based agenda: As a whole, the Republican–led Congress has refused to pass bills overturning the District of Columbia’s violation of federal legislation assuring religious liberty and restrictions on abortion.
Helped Obama: Instead of holding the Executive branch accountable for its abuse of power, the Senate confirmed an Attorney General who thinks there is a constitutional basis for Obama’s executive amnesty.
Continued federal education. Instead of acknowledging and welcoming mounting, bipartisan grassroots opposition to egregious federal control over education – notably involving a growing civil disobedience movement to opt-out of federal testing, the House and Senate seem bent on reauthorizing, with bipartisan support, a major education statute that preserves the fundamentals of No Child Left Behind/Race to the Top/Common Core. Meanwhile, Senate Republicans joined with Democrats to expand the federal government’s reach into pre-K education.
Punished conservative champions. Republicans started the new Congress with the removal of conservatives from key committees; then sat back while leadership-affiliated groups ran ads against conservatives (discussed here). The Senate, and Leader McConnell in particular, campaigned on the promise of an open amendment process. But when conservative amendments do not fit into the perceived necessity of “governing” or avoiding appearing extreme, the Republican leadership routinely works with Democrats to box out conservatives.
Neglected congressional oversight. Despite a vast array of needed oversight of federal actions and spending, no Republican John Dingell or Henry Waxman who could capably challenge such conduct, has yet surfaced! Benghazi, IRS, EPA, the refugee resettlement program, the penetration of the U.S. government by the Muslim Brotherhood, taxpayer funded ideologues eroding American exceptionalism and more await scrutiny. Best oversight efforts to date have, surprisingly, been done by an effective outside group, Judicial Watch, who has no subpoena or constitutional power!
Armed with this new growing record, how do you think Congress is doing with respect to the mandate that voters gave them this past November? Are they “making sure your voice is heard” as Senate Republicans are touting in this self-congratulatory graphic (below) being distributed to announce their accomplishments in their first 100 days in the majority?
Agree? LIKE us on Facebook (Citizens Mandate), where we will follow coverage of this Interim Assessment!
The Undersigned (114 collected in 72 hours): (Titles for identification purposes only)
- Brad Thor, #1 New York Times bestselling author
- The Honorable Edwin Meese III, Former Attorney General of the United States for President Ronald Reagan
- Richard A. Viguerie, Chairman, ConservativeHQ.com
- Steve Deace, USA Radio Network
- Phyllis Schlafly, Founder and President, Eagle Forum
- William G. Boykin. LTG (Ret), US Army, Executive VP, Family Research Council
- Jerry A. Johnson, President and CEO, National Religious Broadcasters
- The Honorable Tom DeLay, Former Majority Leader, U.S. House of Representatives, 2003-2005
- The Honorable J. Kenneth Blackwell, Visiting Professor, Liberty University School of Law
- Gregg A. Phillips, Founder, The Voter’s Trust
- Andrew C. McCarthy, Former Chief Assistant U.S. Attorney
- Christian Adams, Election Law Center
- Star Parker, Founder and President, Center for Urban Renewal & Education (CURE)
- Rich Bott, President & CEO, Bott Radio Network
- Frank J. Gaffney, Founder, President, & CEO, Center for Security Policy
- Bishop E.W. Jackson, President, STAND, Inc.
- Allen Roth, President, Secure America Now
- Steven Thrasher, General Counsel, National Federation of Republican Assemblies
- Greg Scandlen, Consumers for Health Care Choices
- Tim Daughtry, Author, Waking the Sleeping Giant, and speaker
- The Honorable J.D. Hayworth, Member of Congress, 1995-2007
- Dave Bossie, President, Citizens United
- Dan Bongino, Talk radio host & Republican nominee for U.S. Congress
- Elaine Donnelly, President, Center for Military Readiness
- Paul Pressler, Retired Justice, Texas Court of Appeals
- Nancy Pressler, Charitable volunteer and Member, Texas Board of Professionally Licensed Counselors
- Joy Pullmann, Managing Editor, The Federalist
- Lew Uhler, President, National Tax Limitation Committee
- Amy Noone Frederick, President, 60 Plus Association
- Rod D. Martin, Founder and CEO, The Martin Organization
- Susan A. Carleson, President, American Civil Rights Union
- Donna Hearne, The Constitutional Coalition
- Kelly Monroe Kullberg, Christians for A Sustainable Economy (CASE4America.org)
- Mark Fitzgibbons, President of Corporate Affairs, American Target Advertising, Inc.
- Sherri Martin, The Martin Foundation
- Sam Sorbo, Talk radio host, The Sam Sorbo Radio Show
- Nicholas Stehle, Campaign for the American Future
- Rick Scarborough, President, Vision America Action
- George Rasley, Editor, Richard Viguerie’s com
- Clare M. Lopez, Vice President, Research & Analysis, Center for Security Policy
- Janet Porter, President, Faith2Action
- Joseph Farah, Editor and CEO, WND.com, WND Books, WND Films
- James Lafferty, Chairman, Virginia Anti-Shariah Task Force
- Tim LeFever, Chairman of the Board, Capital Resource Institute
- William J. Becker, Jr., President, CEO, GC, Freedom X
- Ginni Thomas, President, Liberty Consulting
- Wade Kirby, Member, Council for National Policy
- Beverly Gossage, President, HAS Benefits Consulting
- Preston Noell, III, President, Tradition, Family, Property, Inc.
- Gayle Trotter, Attorney and Columnist
- Tricia Erickson, President, Crisis Mgt Inc, Angel Pictures & Publicity, and Pubisher: TheConservativePundit.net
- Diana West, Author and journalist
- Robert Fischer, Meeting Coordinator, Conservatives of Faith
- Jim Backlin, Christian Coalition of America
- Rebecca Hagelin, Columnist
- Kevin Freeman, Founder, National Security Investment Consultant Institute (NSIC)
- Gary L. Bauer, President, American Values
- Sandy Rios, American Family Association, Family PAC Federal
- Alfred S. Regnery, Chairman, Law Enforcement Legal Defense Fund
- Demos Chrissos, President, RapidResponse Media
- Betty Jane Strong, Trustee, William A. and Genevieve H. Strong Foundation
- Andrew Bostom, MD, Author, Sharia Versus Freedom
- Morgan Brittany, Actress/Author/Co-owner of “Politichicks.com”
- Erin Tuttle, Hoosiers Against Common Core, Co-founder
- Colin A. Hanna, President, Let Freedom Ring, Inc.
- Michael R. Long, Chairman, New York Conservative Party
- Jerry Melvin, President, Florida Republican Assembly
- Tom Hudson, President, California Republican Assembly
- Francis X. De Luca USMCR(Ret), President, Civitas Institute (NC)
- John Andrews, Former President, Colorado Senate
- KennethCribb, Jr., Former Domestic Advisor, President Ronald Reagan
- Michael Smigiel, Former Maryland Delegate and Candidate for Congress, First Congressional District Maryland
- Bobbie Patray, President, Tennessee Eagle Forum
- Tammy Kobza, State Director, Eagle Forum of Iowa
- Don Reimer, Philadelphia Tea Party Patriots
- Diana Reimer, Philadelphia Tea Party Patriots
- Tina M. Gorzalski, WINNER (WI Needs Necessary Education Reform)
- Susan Dench, Founder and President, the Informed Women’s Network (Maine)
- Anthony Allen, President, Hannibal LaGrange University
- Kim Simac, Northwoods Patriots, Eagle Rover, WI
- Karen Bracken, President, Tennessee Against Common Core
- Jennifer Schubert-Akin, Steamboat Springs, CO
- Elizabeth Bailey, General Partner, Books Plus (Colorado)
- Rob Maness, USAF (Ret), Founder of GatorPAC
- Marcia Chambliss, Alabama Smart Girl Politics
- John Miles, Union City, Tennessee
- Renee Slinkard, Concerned Citizens of Kansas Group
- Michael Swartz, author and founder of us
- Cathy Keim, Contributor to us and conservative activist (MD)
- Linda Paine, President, Election Integrity Project (CA)
- Fred B. Houck, The Traditional American Movement
- Mary Bridges, Member of a local Tea Party group in Hampshire County, West Virginia
- Sally Baptiste, American Patriot and Voter – American Statesman Blog Talk Radio
- Pat Thibodeaux, Union/Towns County Tea Party, Blairsville, GA
- James J. Leist, Manitowoc County Conservatives Chairman
- Edmund Wright , Contributor: Newsmax TV – Breitbart – American Thinker – Talk Radio Network
- Gregg C. Cummings, US Army Ranger Veteran, Co-Founder Iowa Grassroots Coalition
- Penny Barker, Pickens County GA Tea Party
- John Miles, Union City, Tennessee
- Kathy Fuller, Carroll County Central Committee and conservative activist (MD)
- Renee Slinkard, Parker, Kansas
- David Floyd, Stonewall Brigade
- Kathy Wilmot, Nebraska Eagle Forum
- Naomi Brummond, Nebraska Eagle Forum
- Dan Rawls, President, Tea Party of Southeast Tennessee
- Dee Hodges, President, Maryland Taxpayers Association
- Shirley Kufeldt, Northwoods Patriots, Eagle River, WI
- Dennis Juncer, Marshfield, WI
- Janne Myrdal, Edinburg, ND
- Carol Himes, We The People of Hampshire County
- Lieutenant Colonel Marc Hayes, Ph.D., U.S. Army (retired), Volunteer Veterans
- Richard Falknor, Publisher Blue Ridge Forum
- Susan Falknor, Publisher Blue Ridge Forum
- Becky Gerritson, Founder, Born Free American LLC and President, Wetumpka TEA Party (AL)