Elizabeth Lee Vliet, MD
“It’s an exercise in futility,” said Senate Majority Leader McConnell about the public pressure to defund Planned Parenthood.
The Senate Majority Leader should be challenged to answer just exactly how defending life has ever in American history been viewed as an “exercise in futility?” People should be shocked at such callous disregard for human life. Who would expect an elected representative to be so indifferent to public opinion and the rule of law that he would make such an outrageous statement that it is an “exercise in futility” to even allow a Senate vote on whether or not it is appropriate to continue Planned Parenthood’s taxpayer funding of more than $500 million a year.
Investigative journalism videos from the Center for Medical Progress show the enormity of Planned Parenthood’s abortion business to the near exclusion of other “women’s health” services. The videos also reveal clear instances of violation of many federal and state statutes on allowed abortion procedures, handling of human organs, and trafficking for profit in human body part sales.
Consider the facts:
- Planned Parenthood is NOT “women’s health.” More than 94% of Planned Parenthood’s business revenue is from abortion services, primarily targeted to minority babies, largely Black and Hispanic.
- More than half of Planned Parenthood’s budget comes from taxpayers, the majority of whom do not support abortion, especially late-term killing of viable babies.
- Planned Parenthood has a profitable business selling human organs, also in violation of federal laws against trafficking in human organs.
- Planned Parenthood does not involve fathers in the decision women make to abort a baby, even though every baby is created by both a man and a woman. Her CHOICE, My Daughter addresses the overlooked pain men suffer when their child is aborted.
- In the undercover videos, Planned Parenthood staff members are heard admitting that clinics have only one “product” to offer a pregnant woman: No counseling. No adoption discussions.
- Planned Parenthood does not provide “holistic” or comprehensive women’s health care as claimed.
- In contrast, Obria clinics are an inspiring role model of comprehensive care for both preventive screenings and pregnancy care dedicated to exploring all options to help women.
- Planned Parenthood staff and medical personnel are shown on multiple videos admitting that abortionists adjust abortion procedures to salvage body parts for sale, in violation of federal laws governing abortion procedures.
- Planned Parenthood is NOT “charity care” for low income women. The price of services varies in different areas of the country. In Tucson, Ariz., where I practice, Planned Parenthood does not even offer IUDs, STD, or HIV testing. Sample charges vs. Planned Parenthood’s cost include: $35 for a pregnancy test that costs $0.25, up to $50 for $2 birth-control pills, as much as $1,000 for a $200 IUD, up to $250 for $29 worth of STD testing, and $100 for an $8 HIV test.
- Planned Parenthood does not provide any mammogram services at its clinics. In fact, no Planned Parenthood clinic is even certified to provide mammography. Yet it is constantly stated that without taxpayer funding of Planned Parenthood poor women would not have “access to preventive care, like mammograms.” This is totally false.
- Planned Parenthood does not fully inform women that it plans to sell the baby’s body parts and keep the profits, in violation of informed consent laws.
- Planned Parenthood prevents women being shown an ultrasound of the baby prior to the abortion, and in fact, has fought vehemently in states across the country to prevent such a requirement from being implemented. Contrast Planned Parenthood’s opposition to ultrasound with Obria’s policy of showing an ultrasound of the baby to all its clients coming in for discussion of options. Remember, it is routine in women’s prenatal care with obstetricians for the ultrasound to be done from the very beginning visits.
- Planned Parenthood does not disclose the well-known facts that many women suffer long term adverse consequences of abortion, including depression, hormone imbalances from damage during the procedure, and scarring that can lead to infertility.
Planned Parenthood is a business, with many revenue streams, in addition to donations. Planned Parenthood needs to be defunded now. Taxpayer funds should go to expanded services offered in the community health clinics.
Those responsible for violations of federal statues on abortion procedures and selling of human organs need to be prosecuted and held accountable.
Defending Life and Rule of Law is more than “an exercise in futility,” Senator McConnell. It is the core of who we are as Americans.
Dr. Elizabeth Lee Vliet, M.D.is a preventive and climacteric medicine specialist with medical practices in Tucson AZ and Dallas TX that take an integrated approach to evaluation and treatment of women and men with complex medical and hormonal problems. Dr. Vliet is also President of International Health Strategies, Ltd., a global healthcare and education service company whose mission is twofold: liberty and privacy in treatment options and preservation of the Oath of Hippocrates focus on the individual patient.
Dr. Vliet is the 2007 recipient of the Voice of Women award from the Arizona Foundation for Women for her pioneering advocacy for the overlooked hormone connections in women’s health. Dr. Vliet received her M.D. degree and internship in Internal Medicine at Eastern Virginia Medical School, then completed specialty training at Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Dr. Vliet is a Director of the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons.Dr. Vliet has appeared on FOX NEWS, Cavuto, Stuart Varney Show, Fox and Friends and syndicated radio shows across the country addressing the economic and medical impact of the new healthcare bill.
Dr. Vliet’s books include: It’s My Ovaries, Stupid!; Screaming To Be Heard: Hormonal Connections Women Suspect– And Doctors STILL Ignore; Women, Weight and Hormones; The Savvy Woman’s Guide to PCOS, The Savvy Woman’s Guide to Testosterone.